| 02 9982 2466

Claiming mobile phone expenses

With tax time fast approaching, now is a good time to review those tax deductions that are often easily forgotten such as mobile phone expenses.

Mobile phone expenses can generally be claimed as a tax deduction provided they are used for work purposes, such as receiving or making work calls. When claiming expenses you will need to work out the percentage that reasonably relates to your work related use, not your entire phone bill.

The ATO requires you to substantiate these claims by keeping records for a 4-week representation period in each income year to claim a deduction of more than $50. Records may include diary entries, including electronic records and bills. The Tax Office also suggests including evidence that your employer expects you to work at home or make some work-related calls to demonstrate your entitlement to the deduction.

When apportioning the work use of your phone, you will need to use one of the following methods:

Incidental use
If you are not claiming a deduction of more than $50 in total and your work use is incidental, you may make a claim based on the following:

Usage is itemised on your bills
For phone plans with an itemised bill, you need to determine your percentage of work use over a 4-week representative period which then can be applied to the full year. You can work out the percentage by the number of work calls made as a percentage of total calls, or the amount of time spent on work calls as a percentage of total calls, or the amount of data downloaded for work purposes as a percentage of your total downloads.

Usage is not itemised on your bills
If your plan is not itemised, you can determine your work use by keeping a record of all your calls over a 4-week representative period and then calculate your claim using a reasonable basis.

Bundled phone plans
Phone services are often bundled and can be used by other members in your household. If other members use the services, you need to take into account their use in your calculation. You will need to identify work use over a 4-week representative period which can be applied to the full year. A reasonable basis must be used to work out the work-related use such as:

Posted on 22 June '16 by , under Tax.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Join Our Mailing List!

Subscribe to our mailing list to receive all the latest financial newsletter updates as well as information on important dates on our business calendar.

Recent Updates

Firm News

Transition to retirement

The transition to retirement (TTR) strategy allows you to access some of your super while you continue to work.

You are able to use the TTR strategy if you are aged 55 to 60. You can use it to supplement your income if you reduce your work hours or boost your super and save on tax while you keep working full time.

  • Starting a TTR pension: To start your TTR pension, transfer some of your super to an account-based pension. You have to keep some money in your super account so that you can continue to receive your employer's compulsory contributions as well as any voluntary contributions you may be making.
  • Government benefits and TTR: The benefits you or your partner receive might be impacted if you choose to opt for this strategy. How and what exactly will change might become clearer upon discussing this with a Financial Information Service (FIS) officer.
  • Life insurance and TTR: In some cases, the life insurance cover you have with your super may stop or reduce if you start a TTR pension – check this before making any decisions or changes.

TTR can help ease your mind as you transition into retirement but it can be a bit complex. Before you choose whether you want to use TTR to reduce work hours or save on tax, or even if you want to use TTR altogether, you should figure out how this will impact all aspects of your finances.

Business Calender