| 02 9982 2466

Home-based business expenses

Over the last few years, there has been a significant increase in the number of home-based businesses starting up in Australia.

While working from home can help improve a person’s work and life balance, when it comes to claiming home expenses for these business owners, there are a multitude of factors that need to be considered. There are two types of house expenses home-based business owners can claim:

For home-based business owners to be able to claim occupancy costs, the house that they run their business in must be clearly identifiable as the place of business, and include an area that is specifically allocated for the business. Business signage, a unique access point for customers or clients and an area of the house devoted to the business can be used as evidence to claim occupancy costs.

Unfortunately, quite a few home-based businesses fail to meet these criteria i.e. tradespeople who carry out the majority of their work onsite. For these kinds of home-based business owners, it is much easier to claim for running costs. This is because all that needs to be proven is that there is an office in the house that is used for business purposes i.e. tradespeople would be eligible to claim running costs for an office they used to prepare invoices, quotes or for research and planning.

Even though claiming occupancy and running costs as a tax deduction can provide home-based business owners with a tax benefit, it can have an expensive flip side. Owners should take note that once their home becomes more than their main residence, there is a high chance that it will end up in the CGT system.

While a general CGT exemption exists for main residences, it can be lost due to the extent that the home is used as a place of business.

Posted on 21 October '15 by , under Tax.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Join Our Mailing List!

Subscribe to our mailing list to receive all the latest financial newsletter updates as well as information on important dates on our business calendar.

Recent Updates

Firm News

Transition to retirement

The transition to retirement (TTR) strategy allows you to access some of your super while you continue to work.

You are able to use the TTR strategy if you are aged 55 to 60. You can use it to supplement your income if you reduce your work hours or boost your super and save on tax while you keep working full time.

  • Starting a TTR pension: To start your TTR pension, transfer some of your super to an account-based pension. You have to keep some money in your super account so that you can continue to receive your employer's compulsory contributions as well as any voluntary contributions you may be making.
  • Government benefits and TTR: The benefits you or your partner receive might be impacted if you choose to opt for this strategy. How and what exactly will change might become clearer upon discussing this with a Financial Information Service (FIS) officer.
  • Life insurance and TTR: In some cases, the life insurance cover you have with your super may stop or reduce if you start a TTR pension – check this before making any decisions or changes.

TTR can help ease your mind as you transition into retirement but it can be a bit complex. Before you choose whether you want to use TTR to reduce work hours or save on tax, or even if you want to use TTR altogether, you should figure out how this will impact all aspects of your finances.

Business Calender