| 02 9982 2466

Types of fringe benefits

FBT law includes different categories of fringe benefits and specific valuation rules for each category. FBT is a tax employers pay on benefits they provide to their employees, including their employees’ family or other associates. The benefit may be in addition to, or part of, an employee’s salary or wages.

Employers who provide fringe benefits must pay FBT, even if the benefit provided is to an associate of their employee or by a third party under an arrangement with the employer. The type of fringe benefits employers must pay FBT on include:

Car fringe benefits
If an employer makes a car they own or lease available for the private use of an employee, they may have to provide a car fringe benefit.

Car parking fringe benefits
A car parking fringe benefit may arise if an employer provides car parking to an employee and meets several conditions (which can be found on the ATO’s website).

Entertainment and fringe benefits
The provision of entertainment includes providing food, drink or recreation and accommodation or travel in connection with, such entertainment.

Expense payment fringe benefits
Employers may provide an expense payment benefit if an employee incurs expenses and the employer reimburses them for the expense or pays a third party for the expenses.

Loan fringe benefits
Employers may have to provide a loan fringe benefit if they give their employee a loan and charge no interest or a low rate of interest.

Debt waiver fringe benefits
Employers may have to provide a debt waiver fringe benefit if they do not require an employee to repay a debt.

Housing fringe benefits
A housing fringe benefit may arise when an employer provides accommodation to their employee rent-free or at a reduced rent where that accommodation is their usual place of residence.

Board fringe benefits
A board fringe benefit may arise if an employer provides an employee with accommodation and an entitlement to at least two meals a day.

Living away from home allowance (LAFHA) fringe benefits
A LAFHA fringe benefit may arise if an employer pays an allowance to an employee to cover additional expenses incurred, because they are temporarily required to live away from their normal place of residence to perform their employment duties.

Posted on 2 February '16 by , under Tax.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Join Our Mailing List!

Subscribe to our mailing list to receive all the latest financial newsletter updates as well as information on important dates on our business calendar.

Recent Updates

Firm News

What to consider when consolidating your super

The ATO reported that 45% of working Australians were not aware that they had multiple super accounts in 2016. Having multiple super accounts is particularly common for individuals who have had more than one job. If this is you, it is important to identify and manage your super accounts because having more than one can be costly as a result of account fees from multiple funds.To combat this, you may want to consolidate your super, which moves all your super into one account. Not only does this save on fees, but it also makes your super easier to manage and keep track of.

Before consolidating your super, it is important to do the following:

Research your funds' policy
Compare your active super accounts so you can make the right choice about which one you should close. Things to assess include:

  • Exit fees
  • Insurance policies
  • Investment options
  • Ongoing service fees
  • Performance of the funds

Check employer contributions
Changing funds may affect how much your employer contributes, as some employers contribute more to certain funds. Check your current accounts to see if changing funds will affect this. Once you have selected a super fund, regardless of whether you choose a new super fund or one of your existing ones, provide your employer with the details they need to pay super into your selected account.

Gather the relevant information
When consolidating your super, you will need to have the following details ready:

  • Your tax file number.
  • Proof of identity. This could include your driver's license, birth certificate or passport.
  • Your fund's superannuation product identification number (SPIN).
  • Your fund's unique superannuation identifier (USI).
  • Details of your previous fund.

Business Calender